All schools, including Fairhaven, proclaim goals of developing college preparatory skills and a certain level of fundamental life skills. Scripture provides insight in that even Jesus matured in four areas as described in Luke 2:52. Understandably, the development of an 18 year-old’s character, work ethic, or academic ability is far from being complete, knowing that maturity continues over a lifetime. Indeed, maturity does not end when one receives a diploma; however, there are foundational training plans that certainly increase the probability of a child developing learning habits; and, genuinely living out a Christ-like character trait. Although the primary molder of these “portraits” are the parents, the school’s influence plays a significant part.
Thus, what does the school aspire to produce? It is our prayer, that our students graduate FCA with the following foundational desired outcomes — the Portrait of a Fairhaven Graduate:
- To fear and respect God (Psalm 33:8) understanding that this is the beginning of wisdom (Proverbs 9:10) and that one’s true identity is secure in Christ (Col. 2:9-10). They also continue to develop balanced spiritual growth plan as portrayed in Luke 2:52 (to grow in wisdom, stature and in favor with God and with man as Jesus did) so they learn to think as a mature believer (1 Cor. 14:20), mature as a Christ-follower and acquire discernment (Hebrews 5:14).
- To develop a strong work ethic coupled with an eternal perspective (Col. 3:23) devoting themselves to the work that God has pre-pared for them (Eph. 2:10).
- To seek to continue a rigorous, intellectual path, understanding the importance of developing the mind. Their training prepares them to engage their generation with biblically sound thoughts, ideas and truth (II Cor. 10:5). They are prepared to give a defense for the hope that lies within them (1 Peter 3:15).
- To embrace a wide variety of disciplines of study associated with a strong education as the foundation to enter life. This would be characterized by proven writing, thinking and synthesis skills as well as demonstrated mastery of academic objectives in mathematics, sciences and Bible doctrine. The study of God’s word and the pursuit of understanding the Biblical accounts of Creation, the Fall, and Redemption assists in developing an proper biblical worldview and developing the life habit of taking every thought captive (II Cor. 10:5).
- To demonstrate the love and attitude of Christ Jesus to all people. This attitude would be characterized by selflessness, humility and servant-hood (Phil. 2:2-11) and a lifestyle of obedience to seeking first the kingdom of God (Mat. 6:33).
Fairhaven Christian Academy is a safe haven for children to learn and grow. It is a school that finds its roots in the simple yet excellent educational principles of school days gone by. Fairhaven offers solid, core academics in a safe, Christian environment. In a day when society is struggling for answers, Fairhaven continues to produce graduates who are not only above average in scholastic achievement but also go on to establish Christian families and make positive contributions to both society and our country.
Fairhaven has established a well-rounded educational program that prepares students for life. Young people today face complex challenges, and it is imperative that their education give them not only the ability to make a living but also the right philosophy of how to live.
The formative years of a child’s life are for teaching and training. God’s word declares, “Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it.”